References for Ageing
- Statistics New Zealand. (2015). New Zealand period life tables 2012-2014. Accessed October 2017. http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/health/life_expectancy/NZLifeTables_HOTP12-14.aspx
- Beard, J. et al. (2016). The World report on ageing and health: a policy framework for healthy ageing. The Lancet. 387: 2145-2154.
- WHO (2015). World report on ageing and health. Accessed October 2017. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/186463/1/9789240694811_eng.pdf?ua=1
- Roman, M., Rossier, H. & Casaburi, R. (2016). Exercise, ageing and the lung. European Respiratory Journal. 48: 1471-1486.
- Gruber, J. & Halliwell, B. (2017). Approaches for extending the human healthspan: from antioxidants to healthspan pharmacology. Essays in Biochemistry. 61: 389-399.
- Goldman, D. et al. (2013). Substantial health and economic returns from delayed ageing may warrant a new focus for medical research. Health Affairs. 32(10): 1698-1705.
- Bonkowski, M. & Sinclair, D. (2016). Slowing ageing by design: the rise of NAD+ and sirtuin-activating compounds. Nature Reviews: Molecular Cell Biology. 17:679-690.
- Navaratnarajah, A. & Jackson, S. (2016). The physiology of ageing. Medicine. 45(1): 6-10.
- Scott-Warren, V. & Maguire, S. (2016). Physiology of ageing. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine. 18(1): 52-54.
- Bishop, N., Lu, T. & Yanker, B. (2010). Neural mechanisms of ageing and cognitive decline. Nature. 464: 529-535.
- Connors, M. et al. (2015). Cognition and mortality in older people: the Sydney Memory and Ageing study. Age and Ageing. 46(6): 1049-1054.
- Sun, F. et al. (2016). Youthful brains in older adults: Preserved neuroanatomy in the default mode and salience networks contributes to youthful memory in superaging. Journal of Neuroscience. 36(37): 9659-9668.
- Kirkwood, B. (2017). Why and how are we living longer? Experimental Physiology. 102(9): 1067-1074.
- Van den Berg, N. et al. (2017). Historical demography and longevity genetics: Back to the future. Ageing Research Reviews. 38: 28-39.
- Aunan, J. et al. (2017). Molecular and biological hallmarks of ageing. British Journal of Surgery. 103: e29-e46.
- Lopez-Otin, C. et al. (2013). The hallmarks of ageing. Cell. 153: 1194-1217.
- Crous-Bou, M. et al. (2014). Mediterranean diet and telomere length in Nurses’ Health study: Population based cohort study. BMJ. 349: doi: http://dx.doi.org.ezp01.library.qut.edu.au/10.1136/bmj.g6674
- Cook, A. et al. (2017). Rates of cortical atrophy in adults 80 years and older with superior vs average episodic memory. JAMA. 317(13): 1373-1375.
- Conroy, S. & Elliott, A. (2016). The frailty syndrome. Medicine. 45(1): 15-17.
- Maxwell, C. & Wang, J. (2017). Understanding frailty: A nurses’ guide. Nursing Clinics of North America. 52: 349-361.
- Dent, E. et al. (2017a). Frailty and usage of health care systems: results from the South Australian Monitoring and Surveillance System. Maturitas. 104: 36-43.
- WHO (2016). Integrated care for older people: Guidelines on community-level interventions to manage declines in intrinsic capacity. Accessed October 2017. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/258981/1/9789241550109-eng.pdf?ua=1
- De Vos, A. (2017). Optimal care for elderly in transition…lessons learned. (2017). Journal of Gerontology and Geriatric Research. 6(1): 392-395.
- Willis, E. et al. (2016). Meeting residents’ care needs: A study of the requirement for nursing and personal care staff. Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation. Accessed October 2017. http://www.anmf.org.au/documents/reports/National_Aged_Care_Staffing_Skills_Mix_Project_Report_2016.pdf
- InterRAI New Zealand. (2017). National interRAI data analysis Annual Report 2015/2016: a report to inform the continuous improvement of health outcomes for New Zealanders as they age. Accessed October 2017. http://www.interrai.co.nz/assets/Data/2015-16-National-interRAI-Data-Analysis-Annual-Report.pdf
- Huhn, S. et al. (2015). Components of a Mediterranean diet and their impact on cognitive functions in aging. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. 7: 132.
- Tapsell, L. (2014). Food and food components in the Mediterranean diet: supporting overall effects. BMC Medicine. 12, 100. http://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-12-100
- Furman, D. et al. (2017). Expression of specific inflammasome gene modules stratifies older individuals into two extreme clinical and immunological states. Nature Medicine. 23: 174-184.
- Mattison, J. et al. (2017). Caloric restriction improves health and survival of rhesus monkeys. Nature Communications. DOI: 10.1038/ncomms14063.
- Lopez-Otin, C. et al. (2016). Metabolic control of longevity. Cell. 166: 802-821