References for Kidney care and renal disease
Please note: there is an error in the KaTiaki article. In the section about treatment of chronic kidney disease, the action of ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor antagonists is on EFFERENT arterioles, not afferent.
1. BPAC (2009). Making a difference in chronic kidney disease. Best Practice Journal. 22: 24-31.
2. Pidgeon, G. (2011). New Zealand Dialysis Audit: Report for New Zealand Nephrology Services on behalf of the National Renal Advisory Board. Wellington: National Renal Advisory Board.
3. Levey, A. & Coresh, J. (2012). Chronic kidney disease. The Lancet. 379:165-80.
4. New Zealand Guidelines Group (2003). Management of Type 2 Diabetes. Wellington: Ministry of Health.
5. Uchino, S. (2006). The epidemiology of acute renal failure in the world. Current Opinion in Critical Care. 12(6): 538-543.
6. Workeneh, B. (2012). Acute renal failure. Medscape Reference. Accessed April 2012. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/243492-overview#a0101
7. McCance, S. et al. (2010). Pathophysiology: The biological basis for disease in adults and children. (6th ed.). Philadelphia PA: Mosby.
8. KDIGO Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes. (2011) . Clinical practice guideline on acute kidney injury. Accessed April 2012. www.kdigo.org
9. Kidney Health NZ (2008). Chronic kidney disease GP guidelines. Accessed April 2012. http://www.kidneys.co.nz/Resources/Health-Professionals/
10. Lermer, E. (2011). Acute tubular necrosis. Medscape reference. Accessed April 2012. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/238064-overview
11. Arora, P (20121). Chronic kidney disease. Medscape reference. Accessed April 2012. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/238798-overview#a0101
12. Mitch, W. (2005). Beneficial responses to modified diets in treating patients with chronic kidney disease. Kidney International. 67: S133-135.
13. Johnson, D. (2006). Dietary protein restriction as a treatment for slowing chronic kidney disease: The case against. Nephrology. 11:58-62.
14. SIGN: Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (2008). Diagnosis and management of chronic kidney disease. Edinburgh: SIGN.
15. Remuzzi, G. et al. (2005). The role of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in the progression of chronic kidney disease. Kidney International. 68:S57-S65.
16. Ruggenenti, P. et al. (2010). The RAAS in the pathogenesis and treatment of diabetic nephropathy. Medscape Nurses. Accessed April 2012. http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/720963
17. ANZDATA: Australia and New Zealand Dialysis and Transplant Registry (2011). The 34th Annual Report. Accessed April 2012. http://www.anzdata.org.au/v1/report_2011.html
18. Nordzij, M. & Jager, K. (2012). Survival comparisons between haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. Accessed April 2012. http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/03/06/ndt.gfs031.full
19. Foote, E. & Manly, H. (2008). Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Chapter 48 in DiPiro, J. et al. (eds). Pharmacotherapy: A pathophysiologic approach. (7th ed.) McGraw Hill.
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Facebook